Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kitchen Sink (breakfast) Casserole

This weekend I made a breakfast casserole out of mostly leftovers. It was awesome. I did buy the eggs, because to make a good casserole/strata in a 9x13 pan you need about 10 eggs. Or 12. The fact is, these things are so forgiving you almost can't mess it up. I don't even measure - I eyeball it.

It's called "Kitchen Sink" because you can kind of throw whatever into it (except the sink) and it works. No two are the same.

The things you need are: bread, milk, eggs, butter, and cheese. And from there, just see what's lying about.

10 eggs, scrambled into a bowl.

The milk was leftover from a houseguest earlier in the week. She insisted on 1% and got it herself. I put maybe a little less than a pint in the bowl.

A dash of nutmeg. This is a secret and key ingredient. You can't even really tell what it is, when mixed in, but it keeps everything interesting.

I had some leftover butter, about half a stick or so, melted and combined with the milk and egg mixture.

Then, in the pan I took 3 frozen whole-wheat dinner rolls left over from a party about a month ago and sliced them up. I also had about a pound of honey-backed sliced ham from the same party. Frozen ham slices very nicely. I diced it and mixed it into the pan.

If my roommate hadn't just cleaned out the fridge, I would have taken the slightly-old but not too old onions or zucchini and sauted them and thrown them in, too.

Salsa or tomato sauce would also have worked, but I didn't have any. And that really changes the attitude of the dish, so strictly optional.

I poured the milk and egg mixture over the bread and ham. Then put the cheese on top.

The cheese this time was gouda left over from a graduation party a few days ago. I was feeling lazy, so I just sliced it on top. I guess ideally one would grate it. Whatever. It worked fine.

Let that sit and absorb overnight and pop it in an oven that's at about 375 for around 40 or so minutes, or until it looks done. Big hit. Wish I had a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment