Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Let's Talk TACOS


I recently returned from a trip to LA, where I consumed vast amounts of Mexican food. Probably I should say "Mexican" food. Because so much of what we eat and call Mexian has been adapted and changed, hasn't it?


For me, my touchstone taco comes from eating at Jalisco's in Atlanta, GA as a child. All other tacos are compared to theirs. Specifically in Buckhead (Taxco's and El Azteca being close seconds and thirds). This was a basic crispy shell, ground beef, shredded white mild cheese, lettuce. That's it. I still love Jalisco's. It's an affordable, family friendly, table-service place. And, extra bonus, there's a Baskin Robbins next door. Like lots of places in Atlanta, it's in strip mall, but we will overlook this.


I was pleased and intrigued to try Tito's Tacos when I visited L.A. It lived up to it's reputation. Like Jalisco's this is Mexican food for an American palate. You order at the window, and there's some sort of system there that I couldn't quite figure out. Their tacos have a thick shell, mild yellow cheese, and ground beef. I could get used to that. Be prepared to wait in line, but not regret it.


It's interesting that you can't really find places in NYC doing these kind of tacos. I mean, I guess there is Taco Bell, but it's so oily, so bad... and otherwise you are left with "burrito based" places (as I would call them) that have tacos as a side, or fancy-shmancy Mexican like Rosa Mexicano. Love it, but for totally different reasons (not the tacos!).


I'll be honest. I prefer the crispy to the soft tacos. I know that's inauthentic and that really I should be eating tostadas. They are the real crispy fried corn tortillas one finds in Latino markets. Normally, I prefer the "real" thing. Not so, in this case.

2 comments:

  1. oh man u missed out on the best mexican restaurant in L.A.!
    its called La Taquiza. goooooooood fooooood!
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you work with the colours.

    ReplyDelete