Monday, January 19, 2009

Last Days

I am on the MARTA train heading to Hartsfield/Jackson Atlanta Airport. Thanks to my Blackberry, I am mobile blogging.

There's some great graffiti on view from the train on the North-South Line. In fact, Hense and Sever have got to be old men by now, because I've seen their tags what feels like all my life.

I was going to mock one paricular graffiti message but I stopped myself for two reasons. 1. See previous post and 2. I reconsidered the meaning.

This particular work is not a tag, but a message which says "The Last Days Has Arrived." Now, at first I was struck by the bad grammar. And I know, I know, correcting grammar is really annoying to people. I get it. Technically a plural noun (days) should be followed by a verb that reflects this (in this case, have arrived).

But, upon consideration, the Last Days as recorded in the Christian Bible are, in a way, one thing, not many. The Last Days is the time before Christ returns. And while it's multiple 24 hour periods, it is, in a way, one era/time unified by anticipation (and, perhaps, a lot of crazy scary stuff). The Bible promises both signs that show it's coming (as obvious as storm clouds foretell the weather) and surprise when Christ appears (like a thief in the night). I can't quite wrap my brain around it all. Maybe the graffiti artist is right grammatically and temporally and spiritually. Time will tell, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment