Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kay Yow

I heard Kay Yow speak at an FCA meeting when I was in college. I was struck by how cool, real, and sincere she was about her faith, her cancer, and her life. It's very rare that the words of a speaker stick with me any period of time at all, but hers did.

I remember an analogy for life (and for her life) that she shaired. Imagine life as a drinking glass. That glass falls to the ground and breaks into many pieces. But God can those broken pieces and puts them together into a beautiful stained glass window. It really struck me at the time, and has stayed with me as a helpful image of brokenness and grace.

Perhaps there was also a connection for me between her battle with cancer and my own mother's battle. Both women were strong, down-to-earth, and brave. Both battled the disease for many more years than anyone would have expected. Both loved God.

I am grateful that I got the chance to meet Kay Yow, and pleased by all of the recognition she has receieved. She deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment