Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mash It Up

I don't think it's appropriate to mix my proclamation of really important things with telling people all about temporal, less important things. It might dilute the message. This blog is for the extra, less important stuff that I want to say and share.

I like Mashups. Mashups are the post-modern musical genre of taking two or more different songs and recombining them to form something slightly different or better than the originals. It re-contextualizes some of the words or sounds of the song as envisioned by the artist. It's almost like folk-art, or found-object art. And when it's good, it's excellent.

There are a few true artists of the genre, and DJ Earworm get's my vote for one of the best.

In particular, check out If I Were A Free Fallin' Boy that combines Beyonce and Tom Petty, and No One Takes Your Freedom which includes Scissor Sisters, The Beatles, George Michael, and Aretha Franklin.

Perhaps, though, one of my favorites is by DJ Mei Lwun, Sweet Home Country Grammar, mashes Lynyrd Skynyrd with Nelly. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment