Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confirmation: I am a horrible person.


It's humbling (and harrowing) to realize one's capability to sin. Today I drove my dad's car to the cell phone store. I just needed to zip in for a few minutes (note: this is an excuse/justification). There were no parking spaces in the very small parking lot. Except a handicap space. Actually, only 1 of the 3 handicap spaces was open. This was literally the last open space in the lot. Now, my father has some back problems, so he has (and needs) a handicap sticker. For the record, I do not. I DO NOT need a handicap sticker of any sort. But, because I am selfish and lazy, I took that bad boy, hooked it over my rear-view mirror and walked (slowly, like as if I had an injury) into the store leaving zero handicap spaces for people who really need them. I was there maybe 5 minutes. But of course, on my way out, there's a man coming in the store in one of those motorized chair things. Totally, legitimately, for-the-rest-of-his-life handicapped. I suck.
2 important points:
1. I will never do that again. I feel terrible. Like staring into the latrine pit of one's own soul.
2. I believe in a God of forgiveness and grace, so I can repent and be forgiven. Good News.

2 comments:

  1. Not trying to lecture you or anything just being informative, but the spaces are accesible parking spaces. And disbled people don't really like being called handicaps. The word comes from "hand in cap". It's associated with begging.

    And don't feel so bad. You learned a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant to say persons with dissabilities not disbled people. sorry.

    ReplyDelete