Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mood Movies

I've recently realized that I enjoy a totally different type of movie when I'm watching it at home, than when I go to see movies in the theater. When I go to the theater, I want something fun, not totally mindless, and not (usually) a thinker or a downer. Movies with great visuals that pull me in, or really funny ones are my favorites. But when I am at home, I really enjoy things that are darker and slower, or sometimes even more mindless and light. Let's just say, I am way more flexible and forgiving on my couch than in a theater. If I'm in the right mood, I might really enjoy something that I would have given a "thumbs down" had I gone out to see it.


I DVR a lot of movies from TCM. I prefer movies from just post-WWII through the 1970's. And these movies are often quite different than what I would pay $12.50 to see on the big screen. Recently, I saw The China Syndrome, for instance. Very Seventies, but good.


Sometimes I stumble onto other films that I don't expect to enjoy and I am pleasantly surprised. Take for instance, M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable. It didn't get great reviews, nor did it make anything near The Sixth Sense, but I was in the right frame of mind, on the right day, and in the right place to really appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment